The city is the brain, encompassed in2
Double walls (dura mater, pia mater thin);3
It’s trenchèd round about with a thick skull,4
And faced without with wondrous art and skill.5
The forehead is the fort, which is built6 high, 5
And for the sentinels is either7 eye.
And that same8 place where memory lies9 in,
Is great King Oberon his magazine.10
The marketplace, the mouth; when full, begun
Is market day; when empty, market’s done. 10
The city conduit, where the water flows,
Is with11 two spouts, the nostrils of the nose,
And when these watery spouts are not stopped close,12
Then we do say it is a cold or pose.13
The gates are14 the two ears; when deaf they are, 15
Then those two city gates the fairies15 bar.
This city’s governed as most cities be,
By aldermen, and so by mayoralty.
And Ob’ron16 King dwells never anywhere
But in a royal head, whose court is there, 20
Which is the kernel of the brain; if seen,
We there might view him and his beauteous queen.
Sure that’s their court, and there they sit in state,
And noble lords and ladies on them wait.
- These Fairies is the Brain.] the Fairies. 1653
- city is the brain, encompassed in] Fairy’s City in the Brain is found, 1664; Fairy’s City in the Brain is found, 1668
- Double walls (dura mater, pia mater thin);] With Dur’ and Pia-mater Compass’d round; 1664; With Dur, and Pia-mater, compass’d round: 1668
- It’s trenchèd round about with a thick skull,] With a thick Scul it’s Trenched all about, 1664; With a thick Scull it’s trenched all about; 1668
- And faced without with wondrous art and skill.] And with great Art and Labour fac’d without; 1664; And, with great Art and Labour, fac’d without. 1668
- which is built] that’s builded 1653
- And for the sentinels is either] Instead of Centinels doth serve each 1664; Instead of Centinels, doth serve each 1668
- that same] the 1653
- lies] doth lye 1653
- great King Oberon his magazine.] the great Magazine of Oberon King. 1653
- with] through 1653
- And when these watery spouts are not stopped close,] But when those watry spouts close stopt are not, 1653
- do say it is a cold or pose.] say strait a Cold, or Pose have got. 1653
- are] be 1664, 1668
- Then those two city gates the fairies] It is when they those City Gates doe 1653
- Ob’ron] Oberon 1653