The mind’s a merchant, trafficking about
The ocean of the brain to find2 opinions out.
Remembrance is the warehouse where are laid3
Goods, by imagination’s ships conveyed,4
Which every5 tradesman of belief still buys, 5
Gaining by truth, but losing all6 by lies.
Thoughts, as the journeymen and prentice boys,
Do help to sort the wares and sell the toys.
- Similizing the Mind] Nature’s Traffick. 1664; Nature’s Traffick. 1668
- The ocean of the brain to find] The Brain, as th’Ocean, t’find 1664; The Brain, as th’Ocean, t’find 1668
- where are laid] to lay in 1653
- by imagination’s ships conveyed,] which Imaginations Ships do bring. 1653
- every] severall 1653
- Gaining by truth, but losing all] They onely gaine in Truth, but loose 1653