The ground on which this house is built so strong1
Is2 honesty, that hates to do a wrong.
Foundations deep were laid, and very sure,
By love, which to all times will3 firm endure.
The walls, strong friendship; hearts for brick lay thick, 5
And constancy, as mortar, made them stick.
Freestones4 of obligations pillars raise,
To bear high-roofèd thanks, sealèd5 with praise.
Windows of knowledge let in light of truth;
Curtains of joy are6 drawn by pleasant youth. 10
Chimneys with7 touchstone of affection made,
Wherein is beauty, as love’s fuel,8 laid.
The hearth is innocent marble9 white,
Whereon the fire of love burns clear and10 bright.
The doors are cares, misfortunes out to keep,11 15
Lest poverty that’s cold might thorough creep.12
Besides there,13 rooms of several passions stand,14
Some on the right, and some on th’other hand.15
This house’s outside’s16 tiled with noble deeds,
With17 high ambition covered, as18 with leads. 20
Turrets of fame are built on every side,
And in this palace Nature takes great pride.
It is best furnished of all19 Nature’s courts,
For it is hung20 with virtues of all sorts,
As21 moral virtues, and with those of art: 25
The last from acts, the first come22 from the heart.
- on which this house is built so strong] whereon this House was built upon, 1653
- Is] Was, 1653
- will] doth, 1664, 1668
- Freestones] Free-stone 1653
- sealèd] seil’d 1653
- are] wh’are 1653
- with] of th’ 1664, 1668
- Wherein is beauty, as love’s fuel,] Where Beauty, the Fuell of Love, is 1653
- marble] and Marble 1664, 1668
- Whereon the fire of love burns clear and] On which Love’s Fire burns clear and flames most 1664; On which Love’s Fire burns clear, & flames most 1668
- keep,] shut, 1653
- Lest poverty that’s cold might thorough creep.] That cold Poverty might not through them get. 1653
- there,] these 1653
- stand,] built, 1653
- and some on th’other hand.] hand, others on the left. 1653
- house’s outside’s] House, the out-side’s 1653
- With] And 1653
- covered, as] covers it 1653
- It is best furnished of all] This House is furnished best of 1653
- it is hung] hung it is 1653
- As] With 1664, 1668
- come] is 1653