A fortified pink sandstone tower house on the S side of the River Eamont, close to the junction of the medieval route from York to Carlisle and the main road N from Kendal.
Regarded as one of the finest fortified manor houses in the country, Yanwath has 3 of the 4 wings of the courtyard remaining.
Probable performance venue. No Dudley household records survive but entertainers under the family's patronage performed elsewhere in the late 16th c./early 17th c.
Still part of the Lowther estate, now occupied as a farmhouse.
1322 Pele tower built by John de Sutton.
15th c. 2-storey hall range along the S built by the Threlkeld family.
1520 Thomas Dudley acquired the estate through marriage to Grace, daughter & coheiress of Sir Lancelot Threlkeld of Threlkeld. Hall block partly rebuilt and enlarged.
Late 16th c. Hall subdivided horizontally, with the original roof visible only on the upper level. E side of E range and N and S walls of kitchen rebuilt; N wing built.
1654 Property purchased by Sir John Lowther from Thomas Dudley's son Christopher.
1671 Lowthers took possession of the house, now ruinous.
REED Coventry 310; Cumb/Westmld/Glouc 69