Original roof


John H. Harvey, 'Draft Report covering the History, Architects, Restoration and Restorers, submitted to the City Engineers (March, 1942),' York Public Library: Y725.13pm

Image Date: 
Textual Description: 
'Five trusses divide the length of the hall into six bays, and timber braces form a longitudinal arcading above the range of pillars. The pillars are octagonal, and rest on octagonal moulded bases of stone. At the top of the pillar is a moulded capping, cut out of the solid, and the post continues upwards for a further eight feet to support the great purlins (or main plates) which run lengthwise above the pillars, and the beams which, running across them, span the nave and aisles. The collar-beams over the central nave are at a higher level than those of the aisles, and supported by both are principal rafters, of low pitch, which run from side-wall to the ridge in one piece. The rafters, in turn, support the ridge-beam, which is made up of separate beams for each bay.... All the main timbers of the roof so far described are moulded, including the curved braces, while the great purlins and the wall-plates, which run along the tops of the side-walls to support the lower ends of the rafters, have a separate moulded cresting above them for their whole length. In addition, carved bosses are fixed at all the important joints in their framing, and figures of angels holding shields support the bases of the wall-posts. Altogether there are 129 figures and bosses, all carved out of solid oak and painted.'
View Type: 
Image Type: