Situated among woods approximately a mile SW of the town of Atherton, a few miles NW of Manchester through rolling countryside.
The original residence of the Atherton family is long gone and no description has yet been found. A few remains of the early 18th c. residence are incorporated in the neo-Georgian, 20th c. house that may be on or near the site of the Elizabethan building.
A probable performance venue. No Atherton household records survive but a musician under John Atherton's patronage performed at nearby Smithills.
The original house does not survive.
12th c. The Atherton family acquired Atherton Manor.
1723--42 New hall in the baroque style built by the last direct male descendant of the family, Richard Atherton.
1797 Atherton Hall passed by marriage to the 2nd Baron Lilford and ceased to be used as a residence.
1825 Most of the house demolished.
ca. 1930 Present house built on the site by Isaac Taylor of Manchester incorporating rusticated doorways from the 18th c. residence.
REED Lanc 167